Plaster of Paris consists of a fine white powder which hardens when water is added and allowed to dry. Its chemical name is ‘Calcium sulphate hemihydrates’. It is a white powdery hydrated calcium sulphate. Plaster of Paris is also known as Gypsum Plaster (CaSO4.1/2 H2O) or (2CaSO4.H2O).
Benefits and uses of POP
Plaster of Paris is used in many ways. We are listing here some important uses of Plaster of Paris.
- Plaster of Paris is used in medical field to make plasters for broken bones which help in immobilizing it and help them to heal rapidly. Some orthopaedic casts are made of fibreglass or thermoplastics.
- It is also used to precast and hold parts of ornamental plaster work which is placed on ceilings and cornices.
- Plaster of Paris is used for the manufacturing of toys, blackboard chalk, cheap ornaments, cosmetics, casts for statues and decorative material.
- It is also used for the beautification of ceilings of buildings, houses and offices.
- It is also used by dentists for making casts of demure.
- It is used for making the walls of home smooth before putting paint on them and for making beautiful designs and patterns on ceilings of houses and other buildings.
- Plaster of Paris is also used as a fire proofing material because it does not catch fire easily.
- It is used in chemistry labs for sealing the air-gaps in apparatus when air tight arrangement is needed.
- It is also used for the setting of fractured bones and sets them in right place.
Manufacturing of Plaster of Paris
Plaster of Paris is made by heating gypsum, which is a type of mineral. Large deposits of gypsum are found outside of Paris; hence its name is Plaster of Paris.
Chemically, it is prepared when gypsum is heated about 150 degree Celsius, it loses water molecules and produces a white powdery type substance which is known as Plaster of Paris.
When water is again added to the prepared Plaster of Paris it absorbs water and quickly hardens.
Get the best
There are many plaster of Paris dealers in India; they are running their business either online or in market. If you are looking for plaster of Paris for the renovation of your home or office, then go for the finest, finished and trusted quality of products. Since there are several brands in the market, always look for the quality certified products and get the real benefits of using Plaster of Paris to your applications. When the product comes from a reputed company, it is also buyer’s duty to make sure that their product comes with best quality and at an affordable price. The plaster of Paris should be of excellent quality and long life. The product should come with superior quality so that there will be no need to change it or redo it as it is very expensive and not affordable by everyone. So buy your products with a proper cross check and appoint professional workers so that your home looks well finished and beautiful.